Bring 3X5 cards to use at the end.
The Primary Goal of this discussion is to reinforce the reality that God is Personal and thus we can have a relationship with Him. The view of God quiz may be eye-opening to some. It was created for us by Baylor University and is based on a quarter million dollar study. If a person answers the questions truthfully, the results are extremely accurate. Have each person read the instructions on the quiz and answer the questions. People often want to ask questions while filling out the quiz. It's important that they simply answer to the best of their ability without commentary. You will discuss it after everyone is finished. The goal is to discover how each person sees God today. At the end of the book we encourage you to have them to take the quiz again and see if anyone's view of God changes.
Ice Breaker questions:
*What is on your bucket list that you hope to check off this year?
*Do you think God has a bucket list?
Whether or not God has a bucket list, because He is personal and knowable, if He wanted a bucket list, He could make one. You can't say that about an energy force (think Star Wars) or stone idol!
Talk about it: I AM Personal
"I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from My Father I have made known to you."
(John 15:15, NIV)
1. Look at your timetable of your life events (created in Chapter 1). Would you say your experiences have shaped how you see God, or has your view of God shaped how you see your experiences?
2. How do you view God today? Take the "View of God" quiz at the end of this chapter to help give you insight into how you see God. Think of it as a mirror.
LEADER: Follow the instructions in the box above. For more information go to ViewofGod.com
3. Why do you think you view God this way?
LEADER prompts (if you need them): back ground, church teaching, experience...
4. Do you see God as personal or distant? Most people believe God is knowable to some degree, but experiencing a deep and personal relationship with Him eludes them. Why do you think this is?
5. How does your view of God influence your relationship with Him?
6. How does your view of God affect your relationship with others?
7. What is your biggest obstacle to knowing God more deeply and authentically? Does your timeline give you any insight?
Focus on God
LEADER: God wants a relationship with you that is unlike any other. No other friend knows everything (good and bad) about you. No other friend is with you in every detail of your life.
He will never abandon you. Sadly, however, He is the easiest friend for us to ignore or simply forget. What can you do to remind yourself to talk with Him throughout your day? Try this:
On an index card or your favorite electronic device, write the following statement and verse, or just take a picture of it:
God, because You are personal,
I will seek a deep relationship with You.
"I have called you friends, for everything
that I learned from My Father I have made
known to you."
(John 15:15, NIV)
Carry it with you throughout the week. Look at it when you get up, when you go to bed, and at least once during the day as a way of intentionally shifting your focus from yourself to God.
Each day, take a few minutes to meditate on the fat that God is personal and wants a relationship with you. Talk with God about the things that hold you back in your relationship with Him. He knows the obstacles, the hurt, the fear. Nothing surprises Him or is too big for Him to handle. Put it all out there. Ask Him to help you overcome the obstacles. If you do, by the time you are done with this book your relationship with God will be deeper and more fulfilling than ever.
LEADER: Encourage everyone to make time in their daily schedule for this. It will make a huge difference in their success in committing these attributes and Scripture to memory. If it is solidified in their heart and mind it make a huge difference in their ability to apply it to every minute of every day.