Talk about it: I AM Unchanging
"Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow." (James 1:17)
1. What are some reasons things change? In nature? In relationships? In science? In government?
2. Some religions teach that God grows and changes over time----just like us. an you think of three reasons why that is a major problem?
3. Choose two or three of God's other attributes. How would they be affected if God were not unchanging?
4. God gave Himself the name "I AM," which signifies He is eternally present, unbound by time. How does His name also indicate His unchanging nature?
5. Although nature changes and is full of surprises, the laws that govern nature ever change. How does that contrast clearly reflect the difference between God's immutability (He never changes) and His creativity? Why is it an important distinction? How would this reassure people who are afraid heaven will be boring?
6. Read Isaiah 40:7,8 and Matthew 24:35. What do they tell us about God's Word? How should this truth affect the way you read and follow God's Word (the Bible)?
FOCUS ON GOD
On an index card or your favorite electronic device, write the following statement and verse, or just take a picture of it.
God, because You are unchanging,
I know my future is secure.
"He never changes or casts a shifting shadow." (James 1:17)
Look at it when you get up, when you go to bed, and at least once during the day as a way of intentionally shifting your focus from yourself to God. This week, reflect on the things in your life that are changing and then thank God that He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.