Let's Talk About It: I AM Absolute Truth
"So God has given both His promise and His oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie." (Hebrews 6:18)
1. When it comes to truth, many people reject absolute truth. If you have your "truth" and I have my "truth," what doe that imply about the reliability of truth?
2. What are three essential qualities of absolute truth? How do you respond to those qualities?
3. Read Numbers 23:19. List some of the reasons people are tempted to bend the truth or even lie. Based on what you know about God, do any of these reasons tempt God to lie? Why or why not?
4. Is it important for you to know that God never lies? If so, why?
5. Some things scientists believed to be true ten years ago have been proved incorrect by more recent discoveries. Scientists were not necessarily lying; they just did not have all the information. Now consider God's holiness, power, love and ever-present nature. How do these attributes make it impossible for God to ever mislead us?
6. Since God cannot lie to you, how do you respond to statements in the Bible that you do not like? Explain.
7. On a scale of 1---10, how would you rate your heart's desire to follow what God says is true? (1=I don't care; 10=I am totally committed)
8. How does your answer reflect you relationship with God?
FOCUS ON GOD
On an index card or your favorite electronic device, writ the following statement and verse, ator just take a picture of it:
God, because You are absolute truth,
I will believe what You say and live accordingly.
"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)
Look at it when you get up, when you go to bed, and at least once during the day as a way of intentionally shifting your focus from yourself to God. During one of those times each day, take a few minutes to think aout the positive benefits in your life of God's truthfulness.